I think awareness is heightened, and in this economy there'll be a drop in demand for space, both for apartments and offices. With those two things together, I think that the offices with the premier health story will get the premium rent and get the tenants, and the offices with a lagging health story will lag.
Since Awair has been studying indoor air quality (IAQ) since 2013, we wanted to provide information to help you augment your building’s health story, particularly as it relates to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. A quick, if partial, list of steps to take is below, as is a link to more in-depth information about re-entry.
HVAC | Building Automation
- Check and replace all filters on a timely basis
- Clean grills
- Dispose of used filters safely
- Choose the best-rated filter compatible with your system (MERV 8 or higher recommended)
- Maintain a relative humidity (RH) of 40-60%
- If your building has been closed for an extended time, ensure water lines and HVAC systems are free of mold
- Ensure dampers and exhaust fans are working properly
- Monitor indoor air quality real-time so adjustments can be made as needed
Please keep in mind that air filtration or building automation of any kind cannot remove SARS-CoV-2 or other human viruses entirely. Additional and more tactical safety measures are equally important:
Environmental | Manual
- Create building and/or corporate policies for COVID-19
- Communicate these new policies clearly and often
- Provide required health items and guidance onsite
- Provide safety guidance for those working from home
- Ensure policies work for those with disabilities or compromised immunity
- Review workspace layouts and occupancy levels
- Create a stringent cleaning schedule
- Have a containment plan in the event of an onsite COVID-19 case
- Be transparent
To reiterate, no single approach to indoor environmental quality (IEQ) will remove human viruses. However, implementing multiple approaches, both automated and manual, can better protect occupants or employees and improve your building’s health story, even as we continue to learn about COVID-19.
How is your building’s indoor air quality right now?
Awair Omni features enterprise-grade sensors that track temperature, humidity, CO2, VOCs, PM2.5, Lux, and Db. The Awair software dashboard and/or API can provide air data as well as actionable insights so you can take control of the air in your environment no matter where you are. Omni is already used by leading organizations like WeWork, AirBnB, Harvard, Stanford University, and Google to keep their facilities optimized for employee and tenant health.